Monday, February 18, 2013

Wheat Belly #6 or gluten free anyway

 Sick monkeys again.  #2 and #3 are down with what looks like the flu, but could be just viral. Truthfully, I'm not sure it makes a hill of beans difference what it is.  Just hoping it moves on quickly and with no more casualties!  So with two in bed and a rainy, stormy holiday to "enjoy", #1 and I did some gluten free cooking.  This first recipe that #1 prepared is not truly "wheat belly" since it has quite a few carbs.  It is gluten free and kid friendly. These gluten free Chex cereals were already in the pantry which led to the inspiration.  Its a mash-up of recipes from the boxes.

Chex Mix Mash-Up
3 cups Cinnamon Chex
3 cups Rice Chex
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate morsels
1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped or halves

Melt butter with sugar, syrup, and vanilla in large bowl. Toss in Chex cereals.  Heat in microwave 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute for a total of 6 minutes.  Allow to cool a bit and then mix in chocolate chips and pecans.  Enjoy!    There are 164 calories per serving; 23 carbs; 7.8 grams of fat.

Two products I've been introduced to recently and must say LOVE, are Franks RedHot original sauce and the all breast meat canned chicken (Tyson or Hormel are the two I've tried).  I first used the Franks to make buffalo cauliflower for a maytag salad. Great flavor, totally reminds me of chicken wings.  Today I used it to make a chicken chili.  I used my own variation on this recipe found on Allrecipes.com.  The reviews said it was too soupy to be a chili, but I found by reducing the amount of liquid and letting it simmer down the consistency was just right.  

 Canned Chicken Chili Soup
2 cans chicken breast, partially drained
1 can mild Rotel tomatoes with green chili
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can beans, your choice(I used red beans)rinsed
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp cumin
2 tblsp chili powder
2 tblsp Franks RedHot sauce
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water

In large pot, saute onion and pepper in olive oil about 5 minutes, add garlic stir for one minute. Add all the rest of the ingredients, stir well and leave to simmer for one hour.  Consistency varies and simmering another 30 minutes should reduce liquid even more.
Per serving, 114 calories, 10 grams protein, 12 carbs, 1.3 fat.
My husband said he could eat it every week.  Even went so far as to say I could sell this "soup" but he might have been buttering me up at that point!  Enjoy!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I can not tell you how grateful I am that Chex makes so many g-free cereals! Helpful in the am and also for sweet treats;)

    ReplyDelete